Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Master in Educational Theatre


I am beyond ecstatic to announce my most recent accomplishment, graduating from Graduate School. I remember the blog I wrote the Fall before my first semester, and it did not seem like "just yesterday." It has been such a long journey, and I cannot remember what it feels like to not be a student. Even with its hardships, I am so unbelievably proud of myself. I am the first person in my family to graduate with a Master's Degree.

Graduate school is no joke. I really had to hone in on my management skills in all aspects of my life. It was challenging to juggle school, work, acting, family, and a social life. I did my best; and at times I had to decline acting gigs or family events for my school work, and countless social gatherings with friends. But I knew that it was all going to be worth it at the end, and reminded myself that my tight schedule was only temporary. And of course I couldn't have done it without the loving support of my loved ones.

As I reflect on my entire experience, I do not know which semester was toughest. It could be the semester I took 9 credits, including a weekend course - which occupied all of my time. Or, the semester I had to take the edTPA, a new Teacher Performance Assessment, a.k.a. "the longest headache of my life." Or, it could be adding Student Teaching to my already busy schedule, which took a year to complete; alongside completing my thesis. My first semester seemed so long ago, it could have possibly been the toughest as well; as I was adjusting to being a student again, tediously learning the APA format for my research papers and getting into the swing of being a student again after a six year break. You know what, I'm not going to choose. They were all tough! 

Next up, applying my new found pedagogy to my teaching artist experience and becoming a phenomenal educator.

Ending Highlights of my Graduate Experience:
  • 4.0 GPA
  • Inducted into The National Society of Leadership and Success, Sigma Alpha Pi
  • Graduated with Honors from School of Education
  • One of the first four in the state to participate in the edTPA pilot program for Performing Arts - Theater
  • Completing my thesis and co-creating Theatre ¡Para Todos! (A blog containing my research findings to be used as a resource to support Theatre Arts education)


No comments:

Post a Comment