Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Talia... the Nueva Latina


Hello All,

I wanted to write a brief blog about my Nueva Latina experience thus far. It has truly been an amazing experience, and I'm excited to share it with the world. 


Earlier in the year, I was cast as an ensemble member for the "Nueva Latina Monologues", written by Linda Nieves-Powell. Linda is such an amazing playwright who advocates for the Latina community through her work. I knew of her work from her long running college tour of "Yo Soy Latina" (which I had an opportunity to be a part of, but unfortunately, could not because of conflicts in my schedule.) This new piece was for Orgullosa's Nueva Latina Campaign, presented by Procter & Gamble. This was my first time doing a corporate piece. The "Nueva Latina Monologues" was intended to be a 30 minute play to be performed at the Nueva Latina Launch in New York City on February 26. This launch took place at the Helen Mills Theatre, and was a red carpet closed media event. 



This was also my first time on the red carpet as a showcased talent. Being on that carpet gave me such a high. I was so grateful that I was a part of this unique and amazing experience. I took my mother to the event and she cried the minute she saw me step onto the red carpet after the performance. Unfortunately, I was only allowed one guest; but I'm so glad that I brought my mom. She has never stopped believing in me, and is my number one fan. The photo below is when we met Dascha Polanco, from "Orange is the New Black."



Dascha is such a sweetheart. I am so glad that I met her. She was sitting in the front row with us throughout every moment of the show; she was such a great audience member. As were the rest of the audience members. The audience also held other prominent Latinas in the industry such as Angie Martinez (our host), Roslyn Sanchez, Lala Anthony, and Adrienne Bailon. I am so glad that these celebrities were able to witness OUR story, as they are a part of it too. The Nueva Latina Monologues represents all of us. I was privileged to share this work of art in a room of fellow Latinas, striving to create their own path as a modern Latina. 




A little over a month later, the "Nueva Latina Monologues" was performed in Miami for the Hispanicize 2014. This was my first time attending this Annual Conference about all-things Hispanic. We performed the piece at a luncheon in the Intercontinental Hotel, in downtown Miami for an audience of about 400. But this trip wasn't all work, in fact, we had a lot of down time and we were able to enjoy Miami with the extra time we had. 


I am a proud supporter of the Nueva Latina Campaign. This has all been such a humbling experience. It feels good to invest in a project that promotes being a bi-cultural Latina. As a second generation American, of Puerto Rican descent this was something I struggled with. My parents raised me to be American, and to reach for the American dream; yet, I didn't want to feel like I was neglecting my Spanish culture. I was always a blend of the two; and I struggled mostly with people in my surroundings, telling me I was too "White" or too "Spanish". Growing up, I hated how other people tried to define me based on the fairness of my skin, or my heavy Nuyorican accent. These things do not define me as a person, they are just a part of the way I look, or how I talk. My values define me. The way I perceive life defines me. How I respond to situations and treat others define me. I cannot be defined based on how the media portrays a Latina. I hope this campaign stretches across the nation to address misconceptions, and erase ignorance continuing to educate others, and ourselves.


Please visit my website www.taliamarrero.com to see footage, include our Behind the Scenes takes, snippets of the performance. Below, I included some of my favorite pictures; a variety of photos from the red carpet, rehearsals, backstage, etc. 


Enjoy... and don't forget to check out the footage on my site. 


#NuevaLatina  


#Orgullosa















No comments:

Post a Comment